Our Lady’s Hospice, Harold’s Cross, New Extension & Upgrade of Palliative Unit2022-05-26T13:44:18+00:00
Our Lady’s Hospice Palliative Care
Our Lady’s Hospice & Care Services
New Extension & Upgrade of Palliative Unit Our Lady’s Hospice & Care Services carried out a whole-campus review in 2012, taking into account the suitability of existing buildings and the re-design of vacated areas following the move of residents into Anna Gaynor House from the original 1879 building. From this review it was agreed to prioritise the development of a new Palliative Care Unit and associated outpatient and community services. The previous Palliative Care unit consisted of a mixture of single and four-bedded rooms, which was not ideal for ensuring the dignity and privacy for patients and their families at end-of-life.
The new Unit now has the same number of beds (36), but each is an en-suite, single room design. At 31 square metres, each of the rooms provide sufficient space and comfort for patients and their family members, as well as the provision of care by staff. Each room has access to an outdoor ‘courtyard’ area, giving superb views into landscaped gardens. There is also a social hub for patients and families to relax in, providing a ‘change of scene’ from the rooms should they so wish. The basic design principles underlying the project were; Flexibility to the prescribed standards, free from noise, pollution or unpleasant odours is desired, Natural lighting and ventilation to the maximum extent possible in all areas. Adherence to HSE Legionella Control Guidelines and HTM and CIBSE Standards and ISEN and BSEN Standards